Mark Simon Ensemble - Portland Nights download album
- Performer: Mark Simon Ensemble
- Title: Portland Nights
- Genre: Jazz
- Formats: APE AAC MPC VQF WAV ADX VOC
- Released: 1995
- MP3 album: 1322 mb
- FLAC album: 1461 mb
- Rating: 4.2/5
- Votes: 533
Mark Simon (8). Profile: Chicago born, award winning pianist/composer now residing in Portland, Oregon. In Groups: Dan Perz Trio, Mark Simon Ensemble. Mark Simon Ensemble - Portland Nights (CD).
Mark Simon couples jazz experience with a myriad of jazz influences to create a style of playing and writing that offers a mature outlook while pushing his work out to the edge of contemporary jazz. A Chicago-born Cub fan, Simon has been playing jazz for over 30 years. He started by playing along with old Jazz At The Philharmonic records from his father’s massive and eclectic record collection, which ran the gamut from early jazz master Louis Armstrong to avant-garde Cecil Taylor. Mark has been a Portland resident since 1978, when he came west from Chicago to study jazz at Mount Hood Community College. Since then, he’s played with most of the jazz stalwarts in the Portland area, including Mel Brown, Glen Moore, Nancy King and Ron Steen. released November 2, 2014.
Portland Nights "A regular with Leroy Vinegar's Trio, Simon branches out on his own with a sophisticated, lyrical album called "Portland Nights". Paul Mazzio's fluid flugelhorn and trumpet lines highlight Simon's lovely compositional sense, while the Dave Captein/Gary Hobbs rhythm section adds a sensitive spark. Marty Hughley, The Oregonian. In 2012, Mark released his second album in 16 yrs, Mark Simon, Bass 10.
Mark Simon couples jazz experience with a myriad of jazz influences to create a style of playing and writing that offers a mature outlook while pushing his work out to the edge. Simon, a Chicago-born Cub fan, has been playing jazz for over 30 years, starting somewhat inauspiciously by playing along with old Jazz At The Philharmonic records from his father’s massive and eclectic record collection, which ran the gamut from early jazz master Louis Armstrong to avant-garde Cecil Taylor. He’s been a featured performer with the MHCC alumni band at several Mt. Hood Festival of Jazz events.
INKLING Mark Simon Quintet. 1. Transformation 3’29. PortlandNights 01 Transformation WEB. 8. Portland Nights 3’46. PortlandNights 08 PortlandNights WEB. Paul Mazzio – flugelhorn, muted trumpet Michael Bard – soprano saxophone Mark Simon – piano Dave Captein – acoustic bass Gary Hobbs – drum, co-arrangement (track 6).
- Manufactured By – Libra Moon Records
- Phonographic Copyright (p) – Libra Moon Records
- Copyright (c) – Dig This Music
- Recorded At – Sound Impressions
- Mastered At – Newton And Bard Inc.
- Acoustic Bass – Dave Captein (tracks: 1 to 7)
- Arranged By [Co-Arranged By] – Gary Hobbs (tracks: 8)
- Art Direction – Will Youngman
- Drums – Gary Hobbs
- Electric Bass – Dave Captein (tracks: 8)
- Engineer – Dan Decker
- Flugelhorn – Paul Mazzio (tracks: 1, 3, 5, 7)
- Graphics, Layout – Scott Blaylock
- Liner Notes – John Wendeborn
- Photography By [Back Cover] – Rick Schafer
- Photography By [Front Cover] – Jeff Krausse
- Photography By [Mark At Piano] – Michael Paul
- Piano, Composed By, Arranged By, Co-producer, Executive-Producer – Mark Simon
- Producer – Michael Bard
- Soprano Saxophone – Michael Bard (tracks: 8)
- Trumpet [Muted] – Paul Mazzio (tracks: 4)
NotesRecorded live to digital audio tape on November 5, 1994.
Barcode and Other Identifiers
- Barcode: 705065110427
- SPARS Code: DDD