Tom Petty - Highway Companion download album
Highway Companion is the third and final solo studio album by American singer-songwriter Tom Petty. It was released on July 25, 2006, and charted at No. 4 on the Billboard 200 album chart. The album was produced by former Traveling Wilburys bandmate Jeff Lynne, who also produced Petty’s highly acclaimed first solo album, Full Moon Fever, as well as the Heartbreakers' next album Into the Great Wide Open. Petty released the album through Rick Rubin's American Recordings label and Warner Bros.
Talking about Tom Petty’s latest release Highway Companion, a terrific album, requires a little back tracking and some thoughts on the idea of ‘the maturing of music. First I would like to say that I have no idea what Tom was trying to do with The Last DJ album, other then his assault on the record industry, which was well done and way over due. There were some fine tunes on that release to be sure, but on some level (and it’s not just me), the outing came across sounding scattered and lost, as if it had no direction at all. I totally admired the concept, yet when I watched the DVD that came.
About Highway Companion. When Petty and Lynne entered the studio in 2005, they had some big hits to live up to. I’m a little more into the poetry and the lyrical images than I used to be, Petty told Harp. I don’t want to waste a line, I want to mean something and I want it to be the right line. With this record, I knew that I wanted to have a sound that was cohesive. I didn’t want to make a concept album, but I wanted it to fit together sonically. The space is everything in a record. It’s not anthemic at all.
Tom Petty's concept for his third solo album is laid bare in its very title: it's called Highway Companion, which is a tip-off that this record was made with the road in mind.
By: Tom Petty (2006, Rock). More albums from Tom Petty: Full Moon Fever by Tom Petty. Wildflowers by Tom Petty. View all albums . Highway Companion. By: Tom Petty (2006, Rock).
Bland, unimaginative, and sounding a little like. Having released his first album with The Heartbreakers 30 years ago and putting out most of his material with that band throughout three decades of making music, this album, the aptly titled Highway Companion, marks just the third time he has stepped away from his comfortable band of fellow rockers and stepped out on his own. And as with his previous two solo efforts (Full Moon Fever and the excellent Wildflowers, respectively) what we get is Tom Petty with a twist
Highway Companion, Tom Petty's third solo album and first in a dozen years, is a timeless album about the passing of time. A constant companion on the road of rock n' roll, Petty, says Rolling Stone, is "rock aristocracy". Four years after he took Elvis Costello's advice and bit the music/radio biz hands that have simultaneously fed and frustrated him for decades on the scabrous The Last DJ, Tom Petty returned to the studio with more personally introspective matters on his mind
Tom Petty's records always sound like they were made by the Valedictorian of Rock n' Roll 101, as if he listened to the old records and figured out how to create his own classic rock based on elemental rock n' roll truths. He's never tried to do too much; much like Neil Young, he's found the direct path is the most convincing. For this third solo album, Petty keeps it simple, reigning in the usual plush textures of producer Jeff Lynne for something closer to the stripped down folksy approach of his 1994 Wildflowers release. Father Time clearly weighs on his mind.
Tracklist Hide Credits
Bass – Tom Petty
|3||Flirting With Time||3:16|
Lead Guitar, Keyboards – Tom Petty
|6||Turn This Car Around||3:59|
Electric Piano – Tom Petty
|9||Damaged By Love||3:23|
|10||This Old Town||4:17|
Autoharp – Jeff Lynne
|12||The Golden Rose
Vibraphone – Mike Campbell
|14||Around The Roses||2:58|
|15||Big Weekend (Demo Version)||3:04|
|16||This Old Town (Demo Version)||4:24|
- Phonographic Copyright (p) – Abstract Recordings
- Phonographic Copyright (p) – Warner Bros. Records Inc.
- Copyright (c) – Abstract Recordings
- Copyright (c) – Warner Bros. Records Inc.
- Copyright (c) – Adria K Music
- Copyright (c) – Wixen Music Publishing, Inc.
- Recorded At – Bungalow Palace Studio
- Recorded At – Shoreline Recorders, Malibu
- Mastered At – Bernie Grundman Mastering
- Published By – Adria K Music
- Pressed By – Cinram, Olyphant, PA – Z60976
- Art Direction – Tom Petty
- Bass, Rhythm Guitar, Keyboards, Backing Vocals – Jeff Lynne (tracks: 1 to 14)
- Design – Stephen Walker
- Engineer [Additional] – Steve McGrath (tracks: 2, 5, 15, 16)
- Instruments [All], Vocals – Tom Petty (tracks: 15, 16)
- Lead Guitar – Mike Campbell (tracks: 1 to 14)
- Lead Vocals, Rhythm Guitar, Drums, Backing Vocals, Harmonica – Tom Petty (tracks: 1 to 14)
- Management – East End*, Mary Klauzer, Tony Dimitriades
- Mastered By – Brian Gardner
- Painting [Cover] – Robert Deyber
- Photography By – Danny Clinch
- Photography By [Studio Crew] – Camelia Kath
- Producer – Jeff Lynne
- Producer [With] – Mike Campbell, Tom Petty
- Recorded By [Demos] – Steve McGrath (tracks: 15, 16)
- Recorded By, Mixed By, Engineer [Recording & Mix] – Ryan Ulyate
- Recording Supervisor [Session Supervision], Technician [Equipment & Guitar Tech For T.P.], Other [Coffee & Tea Transportation For T.P.] – Alan "Bugs" Weidel*
- Technician [Studio Tech] – Charlie Bolois
- Written-By – Tom Petty
Special Edition includes:
2 unreleased tracks from the Highway Companion sessions.
2 of Tom's demos.
2 double-sided postcards.
Deluxe Packaging (Leatherette-bound jacket with cardboard wrap-around strip)
© ℗ 2006, 2007 Abstract Recordings and Warner Bros. Records Inc. Made in U.S.A
All songs written by Tom Petty
Booklet: © 2006 Adria/K Music admin. by Wixen Music Publishing, Inc. (ASCAP)
Disc: Published by Adria/K Music (ASCAP)
Recorded at Bungalow Palace and Shoreline Recorders, Los Angeles, CA
Barcode and Other Identifiers
- Barcode (Text): 0 9362-49997-9 9
- Matrix / Runout (Variant 1): Z60976 M1S9 1 100372-2 TEXT 01
- Matrix / Runout (Variant 2): Z60976 M1S1 1 100372-2 TEXT 01
- Mastering SID Code (Variants 1 & 2): ifpi L909
- Mould SID Code (Variant 1): IFPI 2UA5
- Mould SID Code (Variant 2): IFPI 2U6C
- Rights Society: ASCAP
|44285-2||Tom Petty||Highway Companion (CD, Album, Dig)||American Recordings||44285-2||US||2006|
|9362-44285-2||Tom Petty||Highway Companion (CD, Album, Unofficial)||American Recordings||9362-44285-2||Unknown|
|44285-2||Tom Petty||Highway Companion (CD, Album, Unofficial)||American Recordings||44285-2||Russia||2006|
|WPCR-12368||Tom Petty||Highway Companion (CD, Album, Dig)||Warner Bros. Records, American Recordings||WPCR-12368||Japan||2006|
|44285-2||Tom Petty||Highway Companion (CD, Album, Spe)||American Recordings||44285-2||US||2006|