Thelonious Monk - Les Liaisons Dangereuses 1960 download album
The discovery of his excellent soundtrack sessions for Roger Vadim's film Les Liaisons Dangereuses 1960, an adaptation of Pierre Choderlos de Laclos' 18th century novel, happened by accident. What they found were the original soundtrack and full sessions cut in New York during a single day in 1959 - the same fertile year that yielded the Monk's At Town Hall; 5 by Monk by 5, and Thelonious.
Thelonious Monk/ Les Liaisons Dangereuses 1960. Les Liaisons Dangereuses 1960. by Thelonious Monk - 16 Tracks - 1:23:39. Release date 06/16/2017.
The album, simply called Les Liaisons Dangereuses 1960, was released as a 3-LP box by Sam Records, mastered from the original analog tapes, and a 2-CD set by Saga. And both sound excellent. If you don't have Monk's albums from the 1950s on Riverside, or the ones from the 1960s on Columbia, get those first. And a tip on the Columbias: if you can't find 1st-pressing LPs, get Sony's 2003 CD reissues, remastered by Mark Wilder, as they not only include alternate takes but also restore the original versions of the tracks, which producer Teo Macero had cut, sometimes mangled, in the released versions, often slashing or eliminating Charlie Rouser's solos.
Artist: Thelonious Monk. Album: Les Liaisons Dangereuses 1960.
Recorded down by the riverside in Weehawken because Monk wasn't together or perhaps even interested enough to get to France, this unsynchronized 1959 "soundtrack" for a sexed-up Roger Vadim rip of the 1782 novel of the same name offers no new compositions but several this-time-onlys as it deploys the exceptional rhythm section of bassist Sam Jones and drummer Art. Taylor and on some tracks a second saxophonist named Barney Wilen to texture Charlie Rouse's breathy imperturbality.
Thelonious Monk: Les Liaisons Dangereueses 1960 is Monk in fine form, leaning toward his Columbia Records sound with excellent compatriots.
|A2||Crepuscule With Nellie||05:16|
|A3||Six In One||04:28|
|A4||Well, You Needn't||04:57|
|B4||Ba-Lue Bolivar Ba-Lues-Are||06:57|
|B6||By And By (We'll Understand It Better By And By)||01:47|
|C2||Crepuscule With Nellie (Take 1)||02:29|
|C3||Pannonica (45 Master)||06:53|
|C4||Light Blue (45 Master)||04:09|
|D1||Well, You Needn't (Unedited)||06:47|
|D2||Light Blue (Making Of)||14:13|
- Phonographic Copyright (p) – Sam Records
- Phonographic Copyright (p) – Saga
- Pressed By – Schallplattenfabrik Pallas GmbH – 42461
- Pressed By – Schallplattenfabrik Pallas GmbH – 42462
- Recorded At – Nola Recording Studios
- Mastered At – 101 Mastering
- Lacquer Cut At – Studio Biduloscope
- Artwork [Retouching] – Laurent Duvas
- Design, Art Direction, Painting – Jérôme Witz
- Double Bass – Sam Jones
- Drums – Art Taylor
- Engineer – Tom Nola*
- Lacquer Cut By – BNJ*
- Liner Notes – Alain Tercinet, Brian Priestley, Robin D. G. Kelley
- Liner Notes [Translated By] – Martin Davies
- Mastered By – François Lê Xuân
- Piano – Thelonious Monk
- Producer – François Lê Xuân, Fred Thomas , Zev Feldman
- Research [Discography] – Daniel Richard
- Research [Illustration] – Fred Thomas
- Supervised By – Marcel Romano
- Tenor Saxophone – Barney Wilen (tracks: A1, A2, B4, C1), Charlie Rouse
NotesRecord Store Day 2017 release, limited edition, numbered - 5000 copies.
Includes a 48-page color booklet.
Nola Penthouse Sound Studios
111 W. 57th St., New York.
Monday, July 27, 1959
Available on April, 29 – 12PM GMT (alternate date of release from the labels website > http://www.samrecords.fr/shop/thelonious-monk-les-liaisons-dangereuses-1960-sam-records-saga-1959/)
Barcode and Other Identifiers
- Barcode (Scanned): 5051083116923
- Barcode (Printed): 5 051083 116923
- Matrix / Runout (Etched A): SRS 1/A CUT BY BNJ
- Matrix / Runout (Stamped A & B): -42461-
- Matrix / Runout (Etched B): SRS 1/B
- Matrix / Runout (Stamped C & D): -42462-
- Matrix / Runout (Etched C): SRS 1/C CUT BY BNJ
- Matrix / Runout (Etched D): SRS 1/D
|none||Thelonious Monk||Les Liaisons Dangereuses 1960 (16xFile, AIFF, Album, 24-)||Sam Records||none||US||2017|
|SRS-1||Thelonious Monk||Les Liaisons Dangereuses 1960 (LP, RM, 200)||Sam Records||SRS-1||France||2017|
|SRS-1-LE||Thelonious Monk||Les Liaisons Dangereuses 1960 (LP, Num, RM, 200)||Sam Records||SRS-1-LE||US||2017|
|SRS-1-LP||Thelonious Monk||Les Liaisons Dangereuses 1960 (LP, RM)||Sam Records , Saga||SRS-1-LP||Europe||2017|
|SRS-1-CD||Thelonious Monk||Les Liaisons Dangereuses 1960 (2xCD, Dlx)||Sam Records , Saga||SRS-1-CD||Europe||2017|